Thursday, May 9, 2013

Conquering Concierge: Training Week 3, Concierge Class Day 3

 

Tuesday April 23, 2013

Destination Concierge (Day 3) 0830-1700

Today was saved for Chase Visa, Dining reservations (A La Carte), and each dining plan in more detail. Most of my classmates were starting to get anxious on Monday because they were wondering when we would ever get to A La Carte. I had already heard from some current Concierge CMs that they save it for the last day, so the class was going exactly like I had expected.

Again this goes back to the typical setup of a DU Class. You begin with very broad knowledge during the first two days, and you save the last few hours of the last day for really technical and sometimes very difficult concepts.

We began the class covering Disney Visas. There are two: Disney's Premier VISA Card and the Disney Rewards VISA. The first has the best rewards, BUT there is an annual fee. I really cannot imagine a scenario where I would want to sign up for the Premier VISA, but if you were interested, you could potentially apply and receive your VISA within a little over 24 hours while you are on vacation at Walt Disney World.

Once we had covered Disney VISAs, it was finally time for DINING! I'm not going to lie, I took many notes on Dining. They didn't have a workbook for us, just a blank sheet of paper. I love blank sheets of paper. The only thing I love more than blank sheets of paper, is filling them with writing. For dinining reservations and any other reservations, we use A La Carte. Because this is the world, and the world just adores acronyms, of course a la carte stands for something. The acronym is AppLicAtion for  Children's Activities, Recreation, Tours, and Entertainment (I know it's kind of a stretch). 

As you can imagine from this acronym, we use A La Carte for basically any type of reservation our guests would want to make. You want breakfast at the Crystal Palace? A la carte. Your princess wants her hair done a the Bibbidi Bobbiti Boutique? A la carte. You're interested in the Keys to the Kingdom tour? A la carte. You want to see Cirque du Soleil La Nouba tomorrow night? A la carte. You need to print your tickets for the Hoop de Doo Musical Revue? A la carte. You want to go fishing tomorrow morning? A la carte. Should I keep going? Okay two more...

You'd like to dine at Victoria and Alberts? Oh excellent choice! Let me give them a call (no a la carte).
You want to experience Richard Petty's Driving Experience? Let me call and see what I can do for you (no a la carte). Yes, those would be the two exceptions to booking things on a la carte. As well as golf. We don't cover golf.

The rest of the class was more information than you can imagine about reservations and using a la carte. We also did a lot of practice, which was mostly "Okay, just look some things up on your own." Unfortunately, it was a training environment so we couldn't actually book any reservations.

We ended class with the finale of our game. I won the Disney trivia game we played for Monday and Tuesday. I can thank countless hours of Children's Activites games for that. Specifically how much was adult admission when Disney World first opened. And how tall is Cinderella's castle. While everyone else is like, "In feet? I have no idea how tall anything is!" I'm all, "I hear this question at least weekly in close counts at the pool. It has to be just under 200 ft, so there's no blinking light, duh!

Biggest Takeaways
  • If you book Cirque at a resort, be prepared to pay with one credit card. You cannot split payments and it should be a US credit card as well (except I was able to book Cirque for a guest from New Zealand a few days ago).
  • If you have an allergy and you let your server know at a Disney restaurant, the chef will come to you table personally to talk about it. Even if it's a tomato allergy (I've reassured a guest about this before, but she didn't seem to believe me).
  • There is a cake hotline for ordering cakes for special events! I already knew this, but I still think it is amazing!
  • The Hoop de Doo Musical Revue runs every day  of the year! Cirque and Spirit of Aloha run Tuesday through Saturday.
  • Disney is very lenient about cancellations. As long as you cancel by 10pm in person or by midnight online the day before, you may forgo the fee. Of course there are many exceptions to this rule, so make sure you know or cancel with plenty of time in advance if you have to.

2 comments:

  1. On the allergy thing, someone told a worker at our Convention Luau at Coronado that she had an allergy and sure enough, someone came out to offer her some alternatives. She was a Disney newbie and very impressed!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I do love hearing stories about how well they handle allergies, since I haven't experienced it first hand. I have to assure my guests they will be taken care of and know that they actually will be!

    ReplyDelete