Wednesday, April 17, 2013

Conquering Concierge: Front Desk OJT, Part Three

photo credit
This is the third installment about my second week of training to become a Disney Concierge. Start at the very beginning of Conquering Concierge here or check out Part One or Part Two. As always leave a comment if you have any questions for me! "Enjoy it!"


Saturday March 21, 2013

All Star Music Cashier OJT (Day 5) 0645-1515

 

 

So oddly enough I'm statused as Concierge at AS MU (so All Star Music) but Day 5 was my first and only day of training actually at Music. Since this is my 5th post about my OJT for Front Desk, I'm going to go into some more reflections about the whole process rather than a play by play of the day.

First the play by play:
We started like normal, banking in and getting set up on the desk. We had a normal day, and then we pulled early, so I could get signed off on my Front Desk training. The last thing I did was have a sit down meeting with a manager. She was very sweet. She genuinely welcomed me to the family and said they were happy to have me. It was really nice to have this sit down, because other than brief handshakes with managers, I don't deal with them on a regular basis. I talked to my managers all the time at Art, almost too much, but it was nice to know they were there, and I had no problem bringing up questions or problems to them if I ever had them.
I made it pretty clear to her that I was interested in getting trained for everything. Also I let her know I really wanted to be a trainer as a lifeguard, so once I had a good grasp on this new job, I'd love to be a trainer her as well. She confirmed what everyone has been mentioning, about how it's not too difficult to move up at All Star, so that was great to hear.
After our little meeting (which was very short because all I could really think about was the complaints I had about my trainer, but the door was wide open so it really wasn't an appropriate venue) I was completely finished with my training! Yay! And too celebrate my trainer gave me one of these, which just happened to be in the freezer in the break room.
Probably the highlight of my entire week of training
 Now that my play by play is out of the way, here is what I've alluded to in my past posts...

I really didn't enjoy my trainer. He wanted to teach me the bare minimum. He wouldn't explain more information for some things. He wanted me to wait for guest to come back or prompt for questions. So then when he did ask if I had questions, I didn't want to ask because he either wouldn't really answer or would make me feel dumb. It's mostly a language barrier thing. I experienced it at the Breakers as well, so as much as I felt it, I didn't take it personally. But also he's not very hospitable, like we opened a room for a guest, he turned his back. When they said thank you, he said you're welcome without even turning back around.

I just really feel like I didn't get my money's worth when it came to my training. It was 5 DAYS LONG, but I didn't get any of the questions I wanted answered. Also I know that the real learning experience typically happens when you're on your own and forced to fend for yourself, but I wanted to give myself the best chance to be successful with the means I had. I also really want to be a trainer myself, especially when I witness the people that Disney does have trainer, who do a poor job. I've encountered many, many excellent trainers all over and specifically at All Star now, who really enjoy being trainers and kind of embody the Jimminy Cricket pin they were. But I've also encountered a handful who just don't get it :(

Anyways those are my complaints. I'm not trying to scare anyone away at all. It has just taken me a little bit of time to warm up to my new role, so I want to be honest about that process. I'll go into more details on this in a later post as well.

Have a Magical Day!

No comments:

Post a Comment