Friday, September 21, 2012

Succeeding in the World: Disney Resumes

This is what the majority of my day looked like. Coffee cups and resumes
I hate blogging out of chronological order, but I'd love to update you on today as opposed to waiting a month to talk about what I'm doing today. I had my first day of work without a trainer yesterday. My first of many, many 10 hour shifts to come. I think I really built it up in my head, so when it came down to actually going through the rotation, it really wasn't too bad. Each stand is either 30-45 minutes (more like 25-40 plus time bumping to the next stand). Where I lifeguarded before each stand was 15 minutes, which meant that you went through each stand more often. So I kind of like the longer stands because in a day you go through a rotation a little less than three times. I'm still kind of fuzzy on the rotation, just because it changes from 25-40 minute breaks so people get a lunch break. But I'm getting there!

I did have one fun guest interaction today. I had a few, but this one was the most notable. I always try to smile or at least have a pleasant look on my face when I'm rotating. I was walking over to Bay Lake Tower, and a guest caught my attention. She asked where the best place was to watch the fireworks, since she figured getting into the park would be way to crowed. I told her about the observation deck off of the fourth floor (typically used for smokers throughout the day haha) and said it was a great view. I also told her that the park wouldn't be that bad for getting in to see the fireworks, but that leaving the park would be the nightmare. But she could always shop her way out on Main Street. I was just really excited to be asked my opinion and for her to be so receptive of my advice. She walked off and immediately told her husband where they needed to go for fireworks. Just exciting for me, especially since lifeguarding isn't a "customer service heavy" role, but it can be if you make the effort.

Back to today. Today is the deadline for Management Internship Applications for Disney!! Aaaah! I hate leaving things down to the wire, but that's just how it happened this week. I am so happy to have today off to get this ironed out. If I worked today, I probably would've spaced it and missed the deadline :(  So thank you scheduling gods for throwing me a bone!

I've been up since 7:30amish and here's what needs to be done:
  • Drink coffee
  • Eat breakfast
  • Drink more coffee
  • Scan/upload Transcripts
  • Write cover letter
  • Update resumes
  • Blog about what I'm doing
  • Think positive thoughts
  • Showcase what an amazing candidate I am
  • Add Disney to my resume
  • Take out trash
Maybe it's just me, but I see a pattern emerging. Everything, but the application related items are getting checked off. Why is that? Could I be procrastinating? Me? Never.
The top sample resume was a handout I received at the Career Development Workshop.
One more thing before I stop procrastinating. I went to a Career Development Workshop put on specifically for CPs about Effective Resume Writing. I went to that on Tuesday because I didn't have work until 12pm. I would definitely suggest going to these workshops when your schedule permits. They gave out a sample resume, and I took so many notes to use when editing my resume. I specifically went to figure out Disney's stance on resumes/cover letters, like for future jobs within the company, but they also had amazing advice about adding Disney work experience on your resume. For example they talked about how the volume of guests at Walt Disney World Resort is only rivaled by places like Las Vegas. They suggested to look up those numbers and include them on the resume. Using real figures instead of just writing a "high volume" can make an amazing impact.

I had a great time at the workshop and if you attend 5 of the workshops, you get a certificate! Guess who wants a certificate... This girl! Alright back to professional development for me!

No comments:

Post a Comment